Ever say to yourself...
"I'd like to become more involved with my community." or "I wish there was some way I could help my Fire Company."
Well here is the place to start!!! For anyone ages 16 and above click on the link to our Membership Application Packet. You can save/print the application at home and then just stop in at any regular business meeting, held every 3rd Wednesday of the month at 7:00PM. We are located at 240 Cottekill Road, Cottekill, NY 12419Membership Fire Application Packet.pdfMembership EMS Application Packet.pdf
What is an all hazard emergency response agency?
Fire departments or companies no longer just respond to fires, we respond to a variety of service calls by the public. Less than 10% of what we do involves firefighting. Most of our call volume (40%) is assisting the Marbletown First Aid Unit at medical emergencies. We also handle things like car accidents, rescuing subjects off the rail trail, investigating fire alarm and carbon monoxide detector activations, fuel spills or propane leaks, storm related hazards such as tree or wires down in the roadway, and flooding conditions.
Where Do I Fit In?
The volunteer fire company in many if not all communities was the center of town like the church. everyone belonged and everyone pitched in. During the 30's, 40's and 50's Cottekill used to host dances and card parties. The 60's and 70's brought bizzars and chicken BBQs. We had great pancake breakfasts and spagettie dinners through the 80's and 90's, but with fewer and fewer volunteers we now conduct the anual Santa run and an open house during Fire Prevention Week. Plain and simple your community needs you... Your fire company needs you... You need You!!!!!
The following is a list of positions/activites that need to be filled or supplimented.
- Interior Firefighter (fighting all kinds of fires from buildings to cars to brush)
- Exterior Firefighter (helping with equipment on the scene of emergencies)
- Apparatus Driver/Operator (driving fire trucks and operating the pump)
- Medical Response Personnel (tending to the sick and injured)
- Fire Police (traffic and crowed control, scene security)
- Rehab Personnel (setting up rest stations and refreshments for firefighters)
- Building and Grounds Maintenance (cleaning, general maintenance of the facility and the property)
- Office Staff
- Public Education